Tuesday 27 September 2011

Eurogamer Expo 2011 [Article]


I've attended the Eurogamer Expo this year on both Saturday and Sunday and I'm definitely going back next year!

It was set once again in Earl's Court as it was in 2010 but last year holds absolutely no ground on this year which had a better layout, better games overall, competitions and much more with my favourite part being meeting Nolan North!

Me, my girlfriend and Nolan North!
The first game I played was Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception even though I had already played it due to being in the beta over summer and I'll admit I was playing extremely poorly for someone who thinks themselves as being a pretty good Uncharted player!
However, I did enter the Uncharted multiplayer competition and won on Saturday and so me and my girlfriend got free access to come back on Sunday where I came in 4th place out of 256 people.
I did feel pretty crushed but I did get an Uncharted 3 shirt which I love, even more so considering Uncharted merchandise seems to be difficult to get a hold of.

The game itself played a lot smoother than it had done during the beta and it had two new maps - Desert Village (which the competition was using) and The Highrise which I'm sure most of you will remember from Uncharted 2 if you bought a certain DLC map.There wasn't much new content on it otherwise but I did go to the developer session and got to see new single player footage and it looks amazing, the sand effects and new melee moves are absolutely stunning, my favourites being Drake pulling the pin out from a grenade whilst attached to an enemy then kicking him back into more enemies and seeing Drake catch a gun in slow-motion once it's thrown in to the air, and Drake's 3rd installment is sure to blow everybody away.
I also got to see Nolan North do the multiplayer Pump taunt, I was in the front seat so I must say it felt so surreal, just as it was when I got to speak to him!
He gave all Uncharted cosplayers an Uncharted 3 notebook signed by him and took several photos with us, it really will be a fondly remembered day in my life.

Another game which more people need to experience is Journey, anybody who has played fl0w or Flower should know why.
It was hard to get immersed in as it was close to the Uncharted booths and that drowned out the music and the atmosphere which is a shame because it's a visually stunning game.

With both this and Uncharted 3 featuring great sand effects, it seems as if a new bar will be set for developers to try and surpass these visual feats.
It plays well but the demo was confusing, partly due to us missing the beginning of the demo and so we had to work out what we had to do for ourselves.
A nice touch was how the player character's skirt gets a new layer added each time they interact with the tall, white character.

Then there's RAGE which I didn't really have time to play but it looked exceptionally smooth and my interest in it as risen.
Tim Willits was at Eurogamer, too! He was signing sleeves for each platform so when the game comes out we can swap the sleeves to have the autographed version, he is a really nice guy and I hope RAGE does well, I'll be sure to pick it up at some point.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a game that was better than I expected it to be and I'm really looking forward to the full release.
The game still tends to hold your hand during battles and does most the work for you but it's fun, it looks great and it's got an epic scale.
Anyone who likes Final Fantasy XIII should be sure to love this.

The multiplayer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations is a welcome upgrade to Brotherhood and I know I'll be playing this on-line for many months.
My favourite addition is the honourable deaths, this is when you get 100 points for attempting to stun someone who's about to kill you, you will not get the stun but you'll get the points for fighting back.
Also, melee kills are now much more fluid with them being able to be strung together, for example, if you kill somebody and the animation plays, somebody else can kill you immediately after and the animation from before will carry on into the new kill.

The new customisation is good too, with new additions such as emblems as seen in Call of Duty, Uncharted 3 and other games and then standard things such as new clothing, weapons, etc, but it is much more in depth than it was in Brotherhood.

A game that has been a bit of a let down is Battlefield 3.
I understand that any playable form of the game has been in beta stage but for a game that has been hyped for being graphically amazing, it sure don't look as good as Killzone 3, Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 or other games.

It plays pretty well though, the heavy recoil is nice but will take some getting use to but my favourite thing is being able to smoothly jump over obstacles.
It has a bit of a learning curve but it is a great game once you get in to it and I'm sure I'll be playing it for a long time once I get it, it's just it's not as graphically impressive (at least on consoles) as DICE and EA had claimed it to be.

Me and Dr. Genki from Saints Row 3
I didn't play as many games as I'd have liked due to long queue's and being in all Uncharted competitions but another part that makes the Eurogamer Expo great are the shops.
Insert Coin were there and they make gaming related shirts which look great but I didn't get any due to low funds, Cyber Candy were also there and they provide sweets that are quite rare i.e. Harry Potter's Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, mints and sweets in PSP, Pacman cases, etc.

From there I got the Harry Potter beans and blueberry sour sweets in a PSP tin and the sweets had X's, squares, triangles and circles on them which I thought was pretty cool, I also got a tootsie pop but that was given to me free.

Me and the Cyber Candy robot
Ubisoft worked with Eurogamer to provide t-shirts that feature Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Rayman: Origins and the money went to the charity GamesAid and so me and my girlfriend bought two Assassin's Creed shirts which were 2 for £20, they're high quality and look great and I like how it has both the Eurogamer Expo and Ubisoft logo's on the left sleeve.

The staff were lovely even if they weren't really informed on competitions and the like but the Playstation Access staff seemed to know what they were on about and that was great, they were really rooting for me in the multiplayer competition and that's why I was given the Uncharted shirt afterwards, apparently you were supposed to scan something but we couldn't get a solid signal on our phones anyway so it worked out pretty well!

I'm volunteering to work there next year as it would be a great experience and I recommend the Expo to everybody, it's amazing but make sure to go more than one day as chances are you won't be able to do everything you want to on one day.
This was definitely the best Eurogamer Expo I've been too and I've been going since 2009.

My highlight was meeting Nolan North - that's something I'll never forget. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment